FocusedMuscularTension.com

@LionquestFitness - strength - confidence - health

The Forum

Forum Home > Building the Modern Day Warrior > Louis L'Amour book: Greg

stickman4

Greg, you mentioned somewhere awhile back a particular LL book with an odd name in it that had an apostrophe in it in which the principal character was noted (as I remember it) for his strength. I'd like to try out an LL book, see if I like it, and that sounds like a good place to start. Can you remember it? (I'm probably just regressing to my childhood - this past summer I discovered the Encore Western TV channel, and now every day I watch the old "Marshall Dillon" half hour reruns. Don't understand why I can't find Have Gun Will Travel episodes though.)

December 29, 2012 at 10:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Greg Newton
Site Owner

The Man from Skibbereen.  That was the first Louis L'Amour western I ever read.  Other favorites are the Daybreakers, Flint, and To the Far Blue Mountains.  Just my opinion, but Flint and Reilly's Luck are the two best westerns L'Amour ever wrote.  Both could stand alone as good story telling in any genre.

December 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

stickman4

Greg; Thanks! Hardly a "Bodyweight and Self-Resistance Training" topic, but I appreciate the help. That's the one.

December 29, 2012 at 2:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

stickman4

stickman4 at December 29, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Greg, you mentioned somewhere awhile back a particular LL book with an odd name in it that had an apostrophe in it in which the principal character was noted (as I remember it) for his strength. I'd like to try out an LL book, see if I like it, and that sounds like a good place to start. Can you remember it? (I'm probably just regressing to my childhood - this past summer I discovered the Encore Western TV channel, and now every day I watch the old "Marshall Dillon" half hour reruns. Don't understand why I can't find Have Gun Will Travel episodes though.)

Greg; One other note on LL and The Man from Skibereen - I hadn't known that as a young man L'Amour had been a boxer with 58 fights yo his credit. In Skibbereen Mayo becomes a prizefighter, and L'Amour notes on P-109 (if memory serves) that he started every day with 50 pushups, situps and squats. Thought hit me that maybe LL began his days this way, and that became Mayo's routine in the book. LL apparently won something like 53 of 58 fights. Not bad.

January 22, 2013 at 7:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Greg Newton
Site Owner

I would guess that as well.  L'Amour's book, the Education of a Wandering Man is a good read.  It is somewhat autobiographical and talks about the various books he read during his roustabout years.  L'Amour wrote that he could have done better at prizefighting if he hadn't been so hungry most of the time.  The Great Depression, hoboing, manual labor when he could find it, and seafaring jobs provided a very threadbare existance for him.  There were times when he chose to buy a book over buying food.

January 23, 2013 at 5:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

FredHutch

I like LL's "Last of the Breed" very much, plus "Hondo", which he re-wrote as a full length novel after his short story was made into a John Wayne movie.

January 23, 2013 at 12:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Greg Newton
Site Owner

Fred,

Last of the Breed was a good read. Trying to recover his strength from torture and starvation L'Amour had his hero lifting rocks and exercising in the Siberian wilderness.

January 24, 2013 at 7:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.